THE SAMBURU PROJECT SPLASH BASH NOVEMBER 16
SLICK Creative is proud to be a sponsor for The Samburu Project's Splash Bash fundraising event on November 16, 2013. We had a lot of fun designing the event materials and learning more about clean water iniatives in Africa.
Why is this project so important? Here are some astonishing numbers:
• An American taking a five-minute shower uses more water than a typical person in the developing world uses in a whole day.
• 4,500 children die each day world-wide due to the lack of clean, safe drinking water.
• 884 million people lack access to safe water supplies; approximately 1 in 8 people.
• Investment in drinking water and sanitation would result in 272 million more school attendance days a year.
• Samburu women and girls walk up to 12 miles every day in search of water. Every facet of women and girls lives are impacted because of this: women do not have time to generate income and care for themselves and their children, girls are uneducated and the entire community suffers from disease because the water they are drinking comes from gaping hand dug wells that are contaminated due to animal fecal matter.
• The water and sanitation crisis claims more lives through disease than any war claims through guns
Every 20 seconds, a child dies from a water-related disease. Diarrhea, not AIDS, malaria or measles, is the leading cause of death among children under the age of 5 in Samburu, Kenya.
• Investment in safe drinking water and sanitation contributes to economic growth. The estimated return is between $3-34 for each $1 invested.